Sunday

(Non) Green Eggs and Ham

Deviled eggs came into my life only a few years ago. They weren't exactly a Brooklyn staple. Maybe I had them twice when I was growing up. After moving to PA, they showed up at many family functions, and social gatherings. They even appear on tables when they don't go with the other foods. Over the summer I attended a party where grilled meats and vegetables were served. There were deviled eggs on the table. I prefer them as an hors d'oeuvre or with other finger foods. I never thought I would aspire to own an egg plate. Now that I do, I couldn't wait for a reason to make some deviled eggs. The weekly Sunday football buffet would do just fine. The secret to a delicate, light filling? Grating the yolks through a microplane and going easy on the mayo. I am not a purist so I like other things in my eggs. Truffle, shrimp with pepper relish, curry, and ham with horseradish make appearances.

Grated yolks. This yellow snow IS safe to eat.













Ham snow. Can't wait for that conversation at the office... "What did you do last night?" "I grated ham finely with a microplane!"











The finished product with some ill cut ham for garnish. Had I thought about it beforehand, I would have cut all the ham in the shape of diamonds, like the one on the left, middle row.









I have perfected my hard boiled egg technique thanks to Sara Moulton. Place eggs in cold water with lots of salt. Slowly bring to a boil. The moment it begins to boil, turn off the heat. Cover. Let stand 7 minutes. Cool under running water, peel immediately. This yields tender whites, perfectly cooked yolks and not a spec of green sulfur ring around the yolk.

2 comments:

David McDuff said...

Thanks for sharing the Moulton tip, HC. I grew up with deviled eggs at most family functions. If you think they're big in PA, try venturing south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Do you use a larger gauge microplaner for the eggs and ham? I would think the one I use for zesting citrus would just get clogged up with something more rich in protein and fat.

HungryChic said...

Hi David! While it is tedious to use a regular microplane for ham, that is what I use! For the eggs too. It doesn't get too clogged because there isn't too much moisture. I'll be making deviled eggs (maybe the Bittman recipe with shrimp)for our gathering on New Year's Day.