Tuesday

Food On Screen - An Occasional Column

Food on film always fascinates me. Is the dish a favorite of the writer/producer/director? Does it have other significance to the surroundings? Historical reference to the subject? The most recent episode of the Sopranos made me put this entry that I've been pondering for some time to the web. Lincoln Log Sandwiches? Carmella made hot dogs split open with cream cheese on bread. I do like hot dogs and cheese but the prospect of cream cheese seemed revolting. I have started a topic to query this creation on eGullet.

Some movies are notoriously gourmet. Big Night and the famous Timballo. Like Water for Chocolate. Chocolat. Eat Drink Man Woman. Some are more subtle. After watching V for Vendetta, the captive husband was memorizing his new favorite instance of alluring alliteration and I was rushing off to make 'eggies in a basket'. A piece of griddled buttered toast with a hole in the center with an egg cracked and fried in the bread. Quite memorable. Took a few tries to get right. Don't add the egg until very near the end of browning so the toast is perfectly crisp and you can then pick it up and eat it with your hands. I use a large biscuit cutter to make the hole. I must also include the famous Pretty Woman scene with escargot, "Happens all the time."

I plan this to be a recurring subject on Lavender Sky, what film food stands out for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't leave out When Harry Met Sally. We often imitate Harry's (Billy Crystal) enunciation of "pe-caaan pieee".

HungryChic said...

OOh! Good one! "I'll have what she's having!"