Monday

Crowd Pleasers

I love chocolate anything. I've eaten chocolate covered tortilla chips and potato chips, chocolate bars with bacon, chipotle and various salts. I can taste differences in chocolate as if I'm sipping fine wine or describing a great craft micro brew. Thanks to the various food allergies/aversions/phobias I assume are present at gatherings of more than 6 people or so, I hesitate to bring chocolate when I am responsible for dessert or an extra treat. Enter blondies.

Easy to make, essentially a bar cookie, blondies are brownies without the chocolate. They are great plain, but are also pantry friendly to accept the scant 1/4 cup of leftover nut hanging around. I've made them with half whole wheat flour, and have even substituted some olive oil if I was short on butter and a trip to the store would derail me when I'm in "the zone". My favorite combination is pressing salted cashews in the top and sprinkling with toffee pieces before baking.

In my vast cookbook collection I couldn't find a blondie recipe so I turned to the Gods of Google. I stumbled upon a fantastic blog, Whipped - complete with a post full of alliteration as a nod to V for Vendetta! You can whip it up on a whim and feel like a whiz and share the wonderment that is, BLONDIES!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thankyou. I am English and until you described what a blondie is I had no idea.. so I am going to try and make my own today from the reciepe you link to .. I may even play about with the concept and throw some british taste in too. Thankyou for blogging about this!

HungryChic said...

Welcome, Vavak! Please share your twists and let us know how they turn out. Your whoopie pies look amazing. I recently had the pleasure of serving a woman from Texas her first whoopie pie!

Unknown said...

Well thank you .. I have to say they are fab .. you must try Vanilla and cardamom .. that combination is going in the book. I got as far as buying the ingredients today .. for the Blondies that is .. until domestic duties took over .. however I shall be baking them this week and will post about them .. and of course refer back to your lovely site. Until then ...